Passing of Venezuelan Political Dissident in Custody Labeled 'Abhorrent' by United States Officials.
The United States has criticized the Venezuelan government over the fatality of a detained opposition figure, labeling it a "reminder of the vile nature" of President Nicolás Maduro's rule.
The former governor passed away in his cell at the El Helicoide detention center in Caracas, where he had been incarcerated for over a year, as stated by rights groups and opposition groups.
The officials in Venezuela reported that the man in his fifties showed indicators of a cardiac arrest and was rushed to a medical facility, where he succumbed on Saturday.
Intensifying War of Words Between US and Venezuela
This latest criticism from the United States is part of an intensifying diplomatic spat between the Trump administration and President Maduro, who has alleged the US of pursuing regime change.
In the last several months, the America has boosted its armed forces deployment in the area and has executed a series of lethal strikes on vessels it says have been used for smuggling drugs.
US President Donald Trump has accused Maduro himself of being the head of one of the country's narco-trafficking organizations—an accusation the Venezuelan president categorically refutes—and has hinted at armed intervention "via a land invasion".
"He had been 'unjustly imprisoned' in a 'center of abuse'," stated the US foreign policy division.
Background of the Arrest
Díaz was detained in that year after joining several dissidents to dispute the results of that period's national vote.
Venezuela's state-run electoral authority declared Maduro the victor, despite opposition tallies indicating their contender had triumphed by a overwhelming majority.
The electoral process were largely criticized on the international stage as lacking in credibility, and ignited protests around the country.
The former governor, who was in charge of the island state, was charged of "incitement to hatred" and "terrorist acts" for disputing Maduro's declaration of success.
Responses from Rights Groups and the Opposition
Local human rights group Foro Penal has voiced worry over deteriorating conditions for political prisoners in the country.
"Another jailed opponent has passed away in Venezuelan jails. He had been imprisoned for a twelve months, in isolation," stated Alfredo Romero, the group's director, on a social network.
He said that Díaz had only been granted one visit from his family during the full duration of his incarceration. He further stated that seventeen political prisoners have passed away in the country since that year.
Opposition groups have also condemned the regime over the death of the former governor.
María Corina Machado, a well-known opposition leader who was awarded this period's Nobel Peace Prize but who is in seclusion to evade arrest, commented that the governor's death was not an isolated incident.
"Sadly, it joins an concerning and painful sequence of demises of political prisoners imprisoned in the context of the after the vote suppression," she said.
The coalition of rivals stated that Díaz "died unjustly".
His own faction, Democratic Action (AD), also honored the politician, saying he had been unjustly detained without proper legal procedure and had been kept in conditions "that should never have violated his fundamental rights".
Broader Geopolitical Strains
Frictions between the United States and Venezuela have become increasingly strained over what Trump has described as efforts to stop the influx of narcotics and migrants into the United States.
- US bombings on vessels in the regional waters have claimed the lives of more than 80 persons.
- Trump has accused Maduro of "clearing out his prisons and psychiatric facilities" into the US.
- The US has classified two Venezuelan trafficking organizations as extremist entities.
Maduro has in turn claimed the US of using its war on drugs as an justification to depose his regime and gain control of Venezuela's enormous petroleum resources.
The America has also positioned a large armada—its largest deployment in the region in many years—along with numerous troops.
In a parallel development, the Venezuelan military according to reports enlisted more than 5,600 troops in one go on the weekend, in reaction to what defense officials termed US "aggression".